Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Moronic Quote of the Week

I'd just like to continue our new little tradition of "Moronic Quote of the Week." I saw this on Yahoo and I just couldn't resist posting it here. It comes from one of the perennially-favored assholes, Pat Robertson. Here's the text of what I read on Yahoo:

Evangelist backs off Chavez assassination call

WASHINGTON - Conservative U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson, who called for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, said on Wednesday he was misinterpreted and there were a number of ways to "take him out" including kidnapping. "I said our special forces could take him out. Take him out could be a number of things including kidnapping," Robertson said on his "The 700 Club" television program. "There are a number of ways of taking out a dictator from power besides killing him. I was misinterpreted," Robertson added.

Oh...because THAT makes it all better. I'm sure that Chavez's death was exactly what Robertson had in mind. Now, I admit that I don't know what Chavez did and I certainly don't trust my government to tell me properly. But, on the other hand, calling for the assassination isn't what made me deem this an asshole comment. It was the fact that he tried to BS his way out of it--and completely failed. That and the fact that I just don't believe his little recant. Bear in mind, ladies and gentlemen, that this is the same man who blamed Americans for 9/11, saying "God let it happen," because we're such sinful, awful, horrible, tree-huggers. AKA we don't embrace Pat Robertson's personal brand of conservatism. If that doesn't make for an asshole comment, then I don't know what does...

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Actually, you guys are onto something here. Just for the pure fun of it we could run the COLAITION ASSHOLE OF THE YEAR AWARD! We could have the ASSHOLE OF THE WEEK AWARD. At the end of year we run the official awards ceremony. From least important to most important we could dish out the following awards:

4. Farts in the Wind
3. Minor Turds
2. Big Shits
1. Asshole of the Year.

Thanks much, Sam, Katie. I needed this.

On a more serious note, the business about Robertson is redicules. The fact that anyone would take this damned fool seriously is nothing less than frightening. I was talking to Jeff about this earlier this morning before he walked on up to the library. Back in the 1980s he and his friends used to watch the 700 Club for entertainment purposes. At the time it was recognized for what it was--a luntatic fringe organization with a collecgive IQ of 6 and a psychotic temperature of 107 Degrees Fahrenheit. A few million dollars later and it becomes an influential organization run by and for the benefit of religious fanatics who make the witch-hanging, Quaker-flogging Puritans look mild-mannered.

More telling is the fact that no nationally recognized right winger has had the courage to stand up and reveal this mentally deficient thug as the imbecilic pile of shit that he truly is.

I don't suppose that it ever occured to Robertson that if we begin to assinate foreign leaders that we are opening ourselves to the sad sight of seeing our own leaders assassinated. I may deplore President Bush and everything he stands for, but I do not want to see him or any future president assassinated.

God damn the American Psychiatric Association for not netting and subjecting Robertson and his and his delusional followers to the shock therapy and lobotomies that they so clearly deserve.