Where shall I begin?
A few weeks ago, we learned that the "Reverend" Fred Phelps of the Westboro Baptist Church had decided to change tactics. Instead of harassing families at dead soldiers' funerals he and his depraved cult of hate mongers will now protest outside veterans health facilities with signs condemning wounded disabled veterans. For those of you who aren't familiar with Mister Phelps and his over-glorified cult, this is the group of roving paranoiacs who travel around the country protesting at the funerals of slain American soldiers because Phelps and his ilk are convinced that God is punishing the United States because of its pro homosexual agenda. Not content to harass grieving family members, Mister Phelps has now turned his attention to wounded war veterans, claiming that their injuries are a punishment from God because of--you guessed it--America's tolerance for homosexuality.
As if that weren't bad enough, we now have the "Reverend" Becky Fisher at the "Kids on Fire" Summer Bible Camp" in Devil's Lake, North Dakota. Just in case you haven't heard of this over-glorified cult, this is a right wing indoctrination where little children are brainwashed into towing the Evangelical Political Right party line. During the course of the summer these poor kids are taught the following half-baked lessons in religious savagery and historical revision.
- Christians must become as brutal and fanatical as the crazy, right wing Islamicists against who we are currently waging a war against terror.
- Democracy is set up to destroy itself because it offers equality to people of all faiths, a belief which flies in the face of the theocratic cult leaders who believe that we should be a theocracy in which the Lord God--or rather the Lord God's chosen, right wing theocrats--will reign supreme.
- There is no wall between church and state; the Founding Fathers believed that if we didn't establish a so called "Christian Republic" (read" ultra-fundamentalist theocracy") that God would destroy our country.
- The Rapture is nigh, and that George W. Bush is anointed to initiate that Rapture.
- If Harry Potter were a real person he should be executed according to Old Testament teaching because he is a Warlock. (Get a grip people. Harry Potter is a work of fiction--rather Fisher's theology which sounds as if it were composed by a Puritan witch hunter on steroids.
And to make the whole experience even more frightening, the "Kids on Fire" Summer Camp (AKA Jesus Camp) features exercises in which the children wear camouflage fatigues and face paint while they brandish sticks as if those sticks were weapons. Moreover, these kids have been isolated from the society at large, most of them have never set foot in a public school, and they have been raised to believe--quite literally it appears--as if they are the next generation of right wing fanatics in the Radical "Christian" attempt to shred the Constitution and overthrow the United States government. (I guess one might say "Kids on Fire" is a euphemism for "The Bil of Rights on Fire."
But then again, you just have to remember--the Reverends anti-American indoctrination center is located near Devil's Lake North Dakota.
And that should tell us a lot.