Friday, December 15, 2006

DOBSON CHASTIZED BY OWN SOURCES

I'm sure by now that everyone has read the Time Magazine Article by James Dobson in which he condemned Mary Cheney and gay parenting in general.   

 

Well, surprise.   It appears as if Mister Dobson has done what the Christian Right does best.    He has engaged in the pseudo scientific practice of taking other peoples research out of context to support his distorted and highly bigoted world view.    It appears as if Mister Dobson has misrepresented the legitimate research of others using their information in the exact opposite way in which it was intended.

 

Said Doctor Kyle Pruitt at Yale University :

 

"Doctor Dobson, I was startled and disappointed to see my work referenced in the current Time Magazine piece in which your convictions opposing lesbian and Gay parenthood. You cherry picked a phrase to shore up highly discriminatory purposes.  This practice is condemned in real science, common though it may be in pseudo science circles.  There is nothing in my longitudal research or in any of my writings to support such conclusions.   One page 134 of the book you site in your piece I wrote "what we do know is that there's no reason for concern about the development or psychological competence of children living with gay fathers.   It is love that bonds relationships, not sex."

 

Said Carol Gilligan of New York University also had a few choice words about Mister Dobson's misinterpretation of her work, writing:

 

"Dear Doctor Dobson.  I am writing to ask that you cease and desist from quoting my research in the future.   I was mortified to learn that you had distorted my work this week in a guest column in Time Magazine.   Not only did you take my research out of context, you did so without my knowledge to support discriminatory goals that I do not agree with.   What yu wrote was not truthful and I ask you to refrain from quoting me again and that you apologize for twisting my words.   There is nothing in my research that would lead you to draw the stated conclusions you did in the Time article.   My work in no way suggests that same gender families are harmful to children or can't raise these children to be healthy or well-adjusted as those brought up in traditional households.   I trust this will be the last time my work is sited by Focus on the Family."

 

I think it's safe to say that Mister Dobson has again been revealed as a liar and a fraud and a hate-mongering bigot.. In fact, his latest chicanery raises the obvious question:   Why should we trust this man when he speaks to any issue? 

1 comment:

Eli Blake said...

Obviously, James Dobson doesn't think that Mary Cheney should raise her own child as long as she is in a relationship with another woman. So does that mean he thinks she should have to choose between 1) kicking her spouse out of the house and raising the child as a single mother, 2) having an abortion, or 3) abandoning her child to a stranger (or perhaps to her father, who with two heart attacks already needs the strain of raising a child like he needs a safety lock on his shotgun?)

Yeah, there's real 'family values' for you.