Monday, December 05, 2005

I am Royally P.O.ed

It is official. I am now royally pissed off.

It is 1:07 p.m. Central time. I had a 9:00 a.m. appointment with Allison's doctor. She'd had a case of the sniffles for the past few weeks and it seemed to be getting worse, so I figured, "okay, time to demand a face to face appointment with the doctor instead of another telephone conversation in which I keep getting the same old run around."

So what went wrong?


Where would you like to begin?


First, this eye, ear, nose, and wallet man kept me waiting for the better part of 120 minutes. Maybe it's me, but I was raised by punctual parents who believed that when you make an appointment for 9:00 a.m. you get your ass in the doctor's office at least five minutes early, so that you won't miss our appointment.

This morning was no different. The office opens at 8:30 a.m. and I was there by 8:47 on his clock. And yet, I didn't get in to see him until 10:55 a.m. During that time Alison began to cry. At first I thought she needed changing, but that wasn't the case. As it turned out she was hungry; so being the dedicated mother that I am I decicded to feed my daughter.

I've been breast feeding this child since we brought her home from the hospital a few months ago; and since there is a Wisconsin law which grants us the right to nurse our children in public, I decided it would be a better idea to nurse her than to let her scream, go hungry, and upset the entire waiting room full of waiting patients. Luckily, Alison settled down, and fed quietly. But now the damned fool sitting three seats away from me decided that he wanted to have a hissy fit because I was breast feeding my infant daughter.

After an off color remark about how natural breast feeding is "indecent," I decided that this guy--who had to be at least 47 to 50 years old--probably never STOPPED breast feeding, although I didn't express that feeling right off the bat. Noooo, it took a remark about my "spoiled little brat," before I tossed out well-deserved comment about the Wisconsin law which protects my right to nurse.

Now this wasn't as if I were flaunting a bare breast. I very carefully made certain that both Allison, and the offending organ (which shouldn't have been offensive at all) were well-concealed under a light blanket, so I really have to wonder.

Was this immature, brainless wonder upset by what he saw or what he didn't see? Considering the degree of emotional immaturity that I saw in this "person" I suspect the latter. To make a long story short, the bonehead kept sputtering under his breath until the receptionist announced my name and I was able to get away from this male chauvanistic oinker.

Thankfully, my doctor was fully supportive of my right to breast feed. He should have been--we would have been home for her mid morning feeding if the stupid little man had actually been on time. But then, as if to rub salt into an already open wound, he gives my daughter a quick, five minute exam, and informs me that she probably has a minor cold and that it isn't anything to worry about. That made me feel a little better.


As I left the office, I asked this quack if he had been held up to handle an emergency at one of the local hospitals. I figured he wouldn't have been late for a trivial reason.

Boy did I have THAT one wrong.

"Noooo.," my doctor responded. "My wife and I kind of over celebrated at our wedding anniversary last night and I came in a little late this morning.

By this time I'm ready to lose it. The imbecile with whom I have trusted my daughter's health has just admitted that he got sloshed the night before and came in late with a flippin' hangover.

Maybe I offended someone by breastfeeding in my doctor's waiting room, but I really can't sign off without saying what I've been thinking all morning.

Will the real boob please stand up?

GAWD!

Karen

7 comments:

Rhino-itall said...

http://jewishworldreview.com/michelle/malkin061505.php3

shrimplate said...

Makes me glad your pediatrician isn't a neurosurgeon.

Rhino-itall said...

well, i don't know why you have to make me out to be a pig... i'm a rhino, we're similar to pigs but more discreet. i sent you the link because your story reminded me of it. I think the guy was probably an idiot, but i don't want to judge him without any real knowledge of the situation. I'll need some pics of the offending body parts before i can give you my official position. ;)

BibleBelted said...

You mean Rhino agreed to baby sit? That is way cool! Thank him for me!

Rhino-itall said...

you don't want me around your children, you know i would turn them to the dark side.

Rhino-itall said...

why is it christianity? i don't think christians are anti breast feeding. michele malkin is part of the "vast right wing conspiracy" and she's religious (flips are very catholic)she's in favor of breast feeding, AND home schooling! and her article was about barbara walters and some of the other pretty people who were offended by it. i'm sure wawa isn't considered part of the christian right. right???

Anonymous said...

what branch of the commie party do you belong to and which mental hospital did you excape from? You need some kind of medication to calm you down and help you think straight, I feel so sorry for people who feel so much anger and are so much out of control, there is help for you, you know, it's called the Republican Party, take a dose and go to bed and maybe you will wake up and you won't feel so bad about life, you poor thing.